Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tied Down


With my impending birthday weekend... in which I’ll be celebrating my 25th year on this earth... I’ve run into a problem.  Well, it’s not that much of a problem for me as it seems to be for others.  Not to mention the quarter life crisis that is sure to come, I feel like I need to discuss something that I hear more often than I’d like to.  That question... phrase... whatever... is: Don’t you hate being tied down by all of those animals?
The blatant answer to that question is... ABSOLUTELY NOT!  “You should really stop fostering...” and “You need to get rid of some of those animals.  You can never do anything...” are the forbidden sentences to cross my path this week.
Yes, having these animal companions in my house does keep me from going places or staying out too long.  Preparing for vacation is almost so stressful that it’s not worth ever leaving.  Let’s not forget to mention that hiring pet-sitters or finding a good place to board is practically as expensive as vacation is.The more I thought about sacrificing vacations and time spent out, the more I realized that I prefer to be “tied down” opposed to having that freedom.  I’m a homebody.  I like coming home to my animals.  I’d much rather spend an evening huddled up on the couch with my dogs than I would out drinking with friends.  It’s not that I don’t love my friends as much as my animals.  That’s not it at all.  I just prefer to relax at home surrounded by my dogs and cats.  Ever since I was a child, I had to have my “quiet time” away from the hustle of life.  I’d spend hours upstairs in the playroom with my animal toys... making them talk to each other and embark on incredible adventures.  I still need my “quiet time” and always have.  That’s just me.
I like going home to tend to my animals.  I’m not angry that I can’t stay out too long or go on vacations.  I have responsibilities to take care of.  While you might think I’m tied down, I feel the opposite.  I’m freer than most of you will ever be.

So for those who understand where I’m coming from, we’ll keep our little secret.  When we say, “I’m sorry, I can’t stay much longer.  I have to get home and feed the dogs...”, I won’t roll my eyes and wonder why you “tie yourself down” with all of those pets.  I get it.  I’m glad that I have dogs... because I love them, and they enrich my life.  But... on top of that... I’m glad I have dogs... because if gives me an excuse to come home, slap on my PJs, and spend some time with the souls that love me most.  

4 comments:

  1. I wonder how offended same people would be if you said the same when they needed to go home to their children.

    Don't you hate being tied to those kids? You should really stop having kids. You need to get rid of those kids?

    Wait-maybe it's their job...
    Or maybe their family...

    I could have hours of fun telling same judgmental people what they need to get rid of in their own lives.

    I'll always understand when you gotta leave early or only got 3 hours sleep or even when they kick you out the bed...and I might even be a little secretly (openly) jealous only have one generic brown dog vs Emily's Foster Dog Army!

    love to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said and 100% true for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebbeca...

    Exactly! That's a very good way to put it! I guess some of us just have more responsibilities than others. Or I suppose that we just care more. I speak for both of us when I say that dog lovers don't like leaving their dogs by themselves for so long! I'm okay with leaving early to head home to the pups. It's the other people that aren't! Oh, well. I suppose that when they have kids in the future, they'll finally understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, yes, I'm sure you'd rather go home and hang out with your dogs, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete