Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fate; something that I actually believe in.

Today, a young man drove his truck down the long driveway of the barn where I board my horse with the hope of finding the owner of a young cat he had found hanging out by the dumpster at 7-11.  This is Chesapeake, though.  There are stray cats everywhere.  The fact that he was putting effort into searching was reason enough for me to instantly become fond of him.  His name is Tommy, and he's very well one of the nicest persons I've met in a long, long time.  I often feel like giving up on mankind, but Tommy proved to me today that I shouldn't give up quite yet.  There are still good people out there... whether I want to believe it or not.

I confessed to him that I did not know who the cat belonged to... but I'd certainly take a look and give him some tips.  He had already contacted the SPCA, but they don't take strays from people.  They are full, too.  I spent much of last year looking for a rescue to send my feral cats to, but I soon discovered that there were so few... and they were usually full.  I took a look at the cat and couldn't help from wanting to take her under my wing as she stared at me with those striking, emerald eyes.  On top of that, this young man clearly cared for her... but couldn't keep her.  He grilled me with questions to make sure that I was a suitable person to take the cat in.  I couldn't turn this cat away.  I just couldn't.  We exchanged numbers, and I called the vet office in front of him and made an appointment for 30 minutes later to make sure that she was healthy.  He mentioned that he thought she was pregnant... but she looked so young from the other side of the carrier... so I didn't focus much on the fact.

We parted ways, and I headed to the vet.  I mentioned that she might be pregnant, and we all couldn't help from laughing.  She WOULD be pregnant.  It would be my luck.  We crossed our fingers that her big belly was from parasites.  I never hoped so much for a bad case of worms!  The fecal, however, came back negative.  She was also negative for both FeLV and FIV.  Yay!  That's always good news!  She did have some discharge, however, coming from her girl parts.  The vet mentioned that it was possible she had an infection, and there was a possibility that her pregnancy wouldn't go as well as we'd like.  The infection could cause the babies to be born stillborn or not live long after birth.  I mentioned that I'd have to be admitted if something like that happened... then asked for the baby-safe antibiotics for the cat.  They gave me some informational pamphlets about cat pregnancy and said I could call them as needed.  They are used to me bringing in strays and feral cats.

So... $140 something later... Gloria and I were on our way home with antibiotics.  I set her up in the "cat room" (as it has come to be), and she really settled in immediately.  If she didn't have the preggo belly, she'd actually be pretty thin.  I can feel her hip bones and spine fairly easily.  She made herself comfortable on the coffee table as I set up food, water, a litter box, and some toys.  She's constantly purring an kneading whatever she can get her claws on.

Tommy came to my house to pick up the carrier and visit Gloria (he felt like that name was suitable).  Honestly, I haven't come across someone so nice in such a long time.  I think that Tommy and I are meant to be friends.  He is truly a good person, and I'm so thankful that he stumbled upon the barn... and I happened to be there.  He visited with Gloria, chatted with me, and insisted on paying for half of the vet bill.  I tried to refuse his money... but he was persistent.  I NEED the money... but I HATE taking money from people.  Especially people that don't have that much to begin with.

I've been doing my reading in an attempt to prepare for what's to come.  I guess that some pregnant cats have discharge when they are about to give birth?  And they lick their girl parts.  Done and done.  Maybe it's not an infection at all.  Maybe Gloria is ready to have her babies now.  I checked her temperature, too.  It's 100.5... which is a little lower than normal.  It said that the temperature should be between 101 and 102... and when it's drops below 100... it' about time.  It's really hot right now, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if her temperature is a little above normal already right now.  I suppose only time will tell.  I've never dealt with this before!  I'm both excited and petrified at the same time.

On top of everything, I'm so happy to have met Tommy.  I see a strong friendship in our future.

So... here's the beginning to another chapter of rescuing animals.  I always swore that I was more of a dog person than a cat person... but apparently it's equal.



Peace, love, and paw prints...

No comments:

Post a Comment