Sunday, April 3, 2011

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does."

Have you ever had to deal with a recently spayed puppy?  Try dealing with two!  Candy and Mandy were spayed on Tuesday.  It's only been 5 full days since the surgery, and the kids are going stir crazy.  It would probably be easier if I didn't have my own dogs to deal with, too.  I started off with crating the girls separately for the first few days.  Then the guilt set in.  They looked so sad without each other!  I decided to put them together and see what happened.  Lucky for me... and them... they both sit in the crate quietly... equally bored with the fact that they can't come out.  But, I figure, at least they have each other.  When it comes to going outside, Candy sits quietly in the pen and does her business in the meantime.  As for Mandy - well - I have to take her out alone without any of the other dogs around to distract her.  I can't put her in the pen... because Miss Thang scales it and jumps out.  THAT can't be safe for a recently spayed pup!  They are healing up nicely, though, and I can't wait until we can resume normal activity!




Apart from the spayed ladies, some other changes have come to be!  I've started my dogs on a raw food diet.  Yes.  You heard me right.  They eat raw food.  Bone and all.  Before you choose to judge, check it out.  You might be surprised.  Despite the judgement posed by people who haven't researched a diet of raw meat, my dogs have taken splendidly to their new food!  I've described it as a crack addict with crack.  These dogs are like raw meat addicts!  Surprisingly, I haven't had any trouble with loose stools or anything!  Mealtime is SO much more exciting to them!  Even my foster puppies go crazy over the smell of the raw meat.  Of course, they are still on kibble.  But they sure do like the smell of the raw chicken!  I've started mine off on chicken.  They've taken kindly to it... so I'll probably add another protein source soon enough. I'm excited about this new adventure of feeding raw.  Since I'm paranoid, however, I'm considering having blood work drawn after a few months of feeding raw to see if there are any deficiencies.  I just want what's best for them... and this raw diet seems to be what's best mentally.  So... I guess I'll just have to find out if it's what's best physically, too.




Peace, love, and paw prints...

No comments:

Post a Comment