Sunday, November 21, 2010

I AIN'T GONNA LIVE FOREVER

I should have called my blog "Foster Dog AND CAT Diaries", right?!

Paws and Lyla are both doing well. Driving me nuts, but they are puppies, so what do you expect? They are being really good, though. They very rarely have accidents in the house, and they are behaving well for puppies! It's just a little bit chaotic, you know?

I took Happy Feet the feral cat to PETA today to be neutered. I was also planning on bringing Gray Kitty and Grumpy along. Gray Kitty escaped, though. It was really sad! I'm really upset that she got away. I've had her for a few weeks now, so I'm clearly attached to her. When I was pushing the crate further into the car, though, the door dislodged... and she shot out like a rocket. I didn't even have a split second to do anything. I searched in the general direction that she had run... but didn't see her. How disappointing! I put out a bowl of wet food this afternoon and someone ate it... but I don't know who! For all I know, it was either the neighborhood cat, Gray Kitty, or squirrels. I'll just keep putting food out and hope for the best, I guess. Anyway, Grumpy was too little to be neutered, and they weren't sure if they were going to be able to do Happy's neuter since his immune system was possibly compromised. Happy Feet has terrible ulcers in one of his eyes. They ended up being able to do it, though! Yay! He's recovering happily in a big crate in the room with the other kittens. He's such a sweet boy for a cat that grew up outside and without all that much human contact! The kittens need to put on another 1/2 of a pound before they are neutered.

I'm very grateful for all of the people who have given me monetary donations as well as supplies like bowls, litter, and food! If it weren't for them, I wouldn't be able to do this. I mean, I WOULD do it, but I would have NOTHING in my pocket. Props to all of those rescues out there who stick it out and do what they can for these animals. Rescuing isn't easy!

The hardest part about today was the fact that to get the "feral package" from PETA, I had to sign something that said that the cat could be euthanized if he was positive for FeLV or FIV. I hesitated... but then thought about it for a minute. What am I going to be able to do for a FeLV+ or FIV+ cat? Most feral cats are released back into the wild, so I think that's why they have that policy. Happy Feet, however, is completely capable of becoming a pet, so the decision wasn't an easy one. I was just hoping on my life that he wasn't positive for either! So... I signed my name and left. As I was driving home, I couldn't help from thinking that I had just signed the life of an animal away. I had just given someone permission to kill an animal. Rationally, I knew that I couldn't do anything with a FeLV+ or FIV+ cat, but the other part of me couldn't help from feeling like I had just sentenced Happy Feet to death.

Fortunately for me, he was negative for both, and I didn't have to suffer the guilt that I would have suffered from if he had been positive. I know that I'll lose animals throughout my whole life. I can't save them all. But I wasn't ready to sign the life of a cat away.

No comments:

Post a Comment