Monday, September 6, 2010

Look On The Bright Side


It's a girl!

It's official. I am now the foster mom of a 6-month-old Shiba Inu. The rescue, K9 Justice League, sent out a message asking if anyone was willing to foster a dog who is having difficulties with house-training. I have hardwood floors, a backyard, and go to school rather than having a job that keeps me away all day... so I offered to take her.

So far, so good. Apparently Zoe spent much of her early life living in a crate and not getting the proper socialization that puppies need. Apparently that specific breed needs a lot of socialization as puppies because they tend to be wary dogs.

Zoe is a GREAT dog. My dog, Brody, was a puppy from hell. He chewed on everything, woke me up multiple times throughout the night, had to go out ALL of the time, made all sorts of messes, had a "nipping" phase, tortured the cats, and pretty much did everything that you'd think that a naughty puppy would do. He's a year-and-a-half now... but still has A LOT of puppy in him. He's not perfectly behaved... but he's much better! Zoe is a DREAM compared to him when he was a pup. She's quiet, doesn't chew on anything, and is pretty much easy squeezy. She is very shy and reserved. Last night was her first night here, and she'd jump at the slightest of noises. I think she's starting to warm up, though, and seems to be coming out of her shell.

As of yet, I haven't had a problem with her going potty in the house. Then again, I've been letting her out into the backyard over and over again... just in case. Lots of walks and lots of going out into the backyard seems to be doing her well. I haven't left her for more than two hours yet, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I think she'll do well here, though. She's a funny dog. So curious about everything around her... but she really just likes to watch. She'll stand outside like a statue just looking at her surroundings for fifteen minutes at a time. You would never know she was a puppy. She reminds me of an old lady in the body of a puppy.

And so the work begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment