Friday, March 18, 2011

Why does it take a minute to say 'Hello' and forever to say 'Goodbye'?


As I sit here, Brody is passed out and sprawled out on the floor, Jackson is curled up in a ball next to me, Memphis is still damp from his bath and sleeping on the couch, and Lyla is quietly sitting outside enjoying the warm weather. And you know what? I couldn't imagine it any differently.

Memphis is leaving tomorrow morning to go to his new adoptive family. I treated him to a meal of his food mixed with hamburger meat as his "Going Away Meal". Of course, the other dogs were treated to the same meal! They'd shun me for life if I neglected to treat them the same. He was also treated to a bath... although I don't think that I can say that he was really 'treated', because he really didn't enjoy it very much. However, he is shiny and clean!

I'm not sure what makes Memphis different from my other fosters. I suppose I haven't been doing this long enough, I guess. Zoe was my first foster, and it actually went a lot more smoothly than I thought it would. I was sad... but inexperienced... and I didn't have her quite as long. Then came the 3 puppies. I guess that Lush and Tiana weren't as hard to let go because I knew that Lyla was staying. Then... along came Memphis. Sweet and adorable and an 'issue dog'. Issues as in medical issues... but I'm all about dogs that are skinny, have issues (medical or emotional), are old, etc. Bring it on!

Memphis and I have had a lot of fun together over the last month... uhhh... almost two months. He's gotten along swimmingly well with the rest of my kids. I'm nervous about this one... because I know that he's a sensitive soul. He deserves for someone to love him as much as he loves them. He needs someone with patience to offer. He needs someone to be his last home.

No comments:

Post a Comment